Whether you are planning to paddle your kayak for only a few times or you are planning to use it for extended overnight trips, you would want it to glide down the river or the ocean with little effort. But buying a kayak for the first time can be challenging especially with various models that vary in size, weight, and features sold in the market. Without a clear understanding of the different types of kayaks available, you may end up regretting your purchase. So how about you start with a guide?
- STRETCH MATERIAL: Upper with stretch breathable ultra light weight fabric for fast draining and cross ventilation, give excellent flexible and comfortable.
- ELASTIC BAND: Elastic band with removable shoeslaces help adjust the shoes according to the width of the feet quickly, convenient and did not step on the troubles of shoelaces.
- FLEXIBLE&LIGHTWEIGHT: Take advantage of the textile, high-quality flexible and lightweight style fits your barefoot skin perfectly and make you feel like wearing socks.
- GET OUTSIDE AND EXPLORE: Take your summer to the next level, The Hydro-Force Cove Champion X2 Inflatable Kayak Set drifts along the lake, river or ocean and can comfortably fit up to 2 adults or children (397 lbs weight capacity).
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: The Inflata-Shield material ensures the boat can resist punctures, limits stretching and enhances the boat's grip. The roomy cockpit has a firm, rigid inflated floor and features two adjustable inflatable seats with backrests for extra support.
- NAVIGATE WATER WITH EASE: With two interchangeable and removable fins, you can customize your ride based on water conditions for optimal directional stability.
- Intex Excursion Pro Kayak made with low profile Polypropylene to maintain color and structural strength when in contact with oil, salt water, or other chemical agents, ready for use in rivers or lakes
- Kayak with built-in footrest and adjustable seats for comfort, able to hold maximum weight capacity of 396.8 pounds; Ideal for adventurous water enthusiasts
- Versatile 2 Person kayak featuring 2- 86 inch aluminum oars, 2 detachable fishing rod holders, 1 adjustable GoPro camera and mobile phone mount, high-output pump and one repair patch
- Constructed of uv-protected high-density Polyethylene. Multiple footrest positions for different size riders. Stable flat bottom
- Adjustable padded seat back and seat pad for comfort. Two flush mounted fishing rod holders. One top mount fishing rod Holder
- Front and rear shock cord straps. Two 6" storage compartments in rear and center. One paddlekeeper, one adult black paddle
- STABLE: The twin-arched multi-chine hull offers excellent stability for a secure and steady ride. It also makes it incredibly easy to get in and out of the kayak.
- SAFE: Additional floatation in the form of foam blocks inside the kayak as well as a flatter hull ensure safety and peace of mind when you're out on the water. This kayak holds a maximum weight capacity of 275 lb.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Made of an exceptionally durable high molecular weight polyethylene, our kayaks require less materials to be built. At 10 ft and weighing only 36 lb, the ARGO 100X is incredibly easy to transport, carry and store.
Last update on 2023-12-04 at 21:25 PST/ Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Table of Contents
Types of Kayaks
Kayaks come in two basic styles. There is the sit in boats and the sit on top boats. Each type carries its pros and cons. It’s essential that you know the difference between the two so that you are better informed about your purchase.
Sit In Kayaks
They feature a cockpit which is where you sit. There is a cockpit rim around the cockpit which is where you keep your spray skirt so that the water remains out of the boat. There are seat and foot pedals which can be adjusted according to the paddler’s length, inside the cockpit.
Can Be Used In Any Season
Lovers of long kayaking should consider buying these as they can use them in spring as well as autumn weather.
These boats have a low center of gravity which translates to better stability and faster paddling.
Protection From Spays of Water
With a cockpit rim that encloses the cockpit, spray waters are kept out, and hence the paddlers can have a smooth ride. Also, the absence of drain holes in the bottom of the cockpit ensures that it remains dry throughout.
The closed cockpits are built directly into the hull of the boat which means you will be closer to the water and therefore can fish with ease. Also, users can access the entire hull hence can store all their fishing equipment.
Your kayak will be filled with water if you flip and hence recovery can be tricky.
Freedom of movement is restricted.
Accessing items in the back part of the kayak can be challenging.
Sit On Top Kayaks
They are used mostly by paddlers in warm water who love swimming. They feature an open cockpit design that allows paddlers to jump off and get back on. Users sit on a molded depression instead of being in the vessels.
They Are Easy to Enter And Exit
Since the cockpit is open, it makes it easy for one to get in and out. This feature makes them a preferred choice for fishers, divers, and surfers.
The open-air designs allow room for stretching out and relaxing while on the water. Also, you can place your feet in the position you find comfortable since they offer more footrest options.
Easy Access To Your Gear
You can effortlessly access simple gear like water bottles and fishing rods. Again, they have storage space to keep your fishing tools.
They have small holes that allow water to drain through them. In case you topple you can flip them back.
They are wide which means they have a high center of gravity hence difficult to paddle and inefficient.
Little Space For Gear Storage
These models don’t provide much dry storage space due to their molded tops.
Offer No Protection Against Harsh Weather Conditions
The paddlers are exposed to wind, hot sun and waves since the cockpit is open.
What to Look For When Buying a Kayak
This comprises the total of the boat, your gear and you. If the boat is overloaded it will sit too low in the water and paddling may be inefficient.
Longer boats glide more efficiently and offer abundant storage space. Kayaks with shorter hulls turn more quickly.
The material used affects the durability and the weight of the kayak. There are two common materials used for constructing kayaks.
Kayaks made of plastics are the common ones.
Lightweight fiberglass boats can resist obstacles in the water without turning over, and it is unlikely for them to get damaged. But they can be repaired in cases of accidents although they are expensive.
Price also plays a part in decision making. Your place of purchase determines the price. A big box store could be selling them at a higher price than a locally owned pro-shop. Also, you can buy a second-hand kayak which is cheaper as compared to a brand new one. Whichever the case, go for a quality kayak. This means that you have to do more research.
As there are many uses of kayaks, you should purchase one that meets your needs and wants. The purpose will help you determine the features of the kayak. For instance, a fishing kayak should have space for holding fishing equipment.
Don’t just purchase the first kayak that you see. Instead ensure that you research the model you want to buy and that it will suit your kayaking needs. But with this guide you will be able to make a better choice.